News

Chicago man cleared in Border Patrol bounty trial now faces immigration proceedings

FILE - Greg Bovino, the chief patrol agent for the U.S. Border Patrol El Centro sector, center, stands with federal immigration agents near an Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Broadview, Ill., Oct. 3, 2025. Photo: Associated Press/Erin Hooley


Chicago, IL (AP) – A Chicago carpenter cleared of accusations that he put a $10,000 bounty on the life of a Border Patrol commander has been taken into immigration custody and faces deportation, attorneys confirmed Tuesday.

Juan Espinoza Martinez, 37, was acquitted of one count of murder-for-hire last week. Within 24 hours, he was picked up by federal immigration agents, said defense attorneys Jonathan Bedi and Dena Singer.

Born in Mexico, Espinoza Martinez was brought to the U.S. as a young child, according to a videotaped interview played during the short trial. His immigration status was not part of the first criminal trial stemming from the Chicago immigration crackdown.

Defense attorneys said the federal government, which referred to Espinoza Martinez as a “criminal illegal alien,” engaged in “character assassination.” Prosecutors accused Espinoza Martinez of being a “ranking” member of the Latin Kings, but the claim quickly unraveled when they didn’t present evidence and a judge barred mentions of the street gang at trial.

“This verdict is a reminder that juries see through political prosecutions. They demand real evidence, not speculation and character assassination,” Bedi and Singer said in a joint statement. “The government didn’t have it. They never did.”

Espinoza Martinez, a married father of three, was arrested in October.

His wife, Bianca Hernandez, told the Chicago Tribune that her husband was a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the Obama-era program that’s shielded hundreds of thousands of people from deportation if they meet certain criteria, including no criminal history. However, Espinoza Martinez was not able to reapply in 2020 due to financial hardship, according to family.

“We were very, very happy because we knew that he didn’t do anything,” Hernandez told the Tribune. “But at the same time, it is a very bittersweet victory because he doesn’t actually get to come home.”

She did not return messages left this week by The Associated Press.

Espinoza Martinez was charged in October as the city of 2.7 million and surrounding suburbs were seeing a surge of federal immigration agents. Protests and standoffs with immigration officers were common, particularly in the city’s heavily Mexican Little Village neighborhood where Espinoza Martinez lived.

He was accused of sending Snapchat messages to his brother and a friend who turned out to be a longtime government informant. One read in part “10k if u take him down,” along with a picture of Gregory Bovino, a Border Patrol official who has led aggressive crackdowns nationwide, including in the Chicago area.

After the verdict, the Department of Homeland Security dismissed the decision by the jury, which deliberated less than four hours.

“This verdict does not change the facts: Espinoza targeted federal law enforcement with violence via Snapchat,” DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement. She referred further questions to the Department of Justice. An agency spokeswoman declined comment citing “confidentiality protections.”

The case has fueled skepticism about the Trump administration’s narratives surrounding the immigration enforcement surges. Of the roughly 30 criminal cases stemming from Operation Midway Blitz in the Chicago area, roughly half have been dismissed or dropped.

Recent Headlines

7 hours ago in National, Trending

Iran and the US lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy on Thursday as nuclear talks between the nations hung in the balance....

7 hours ago in Music

U2’s new music honors Renee Good and draws inspiration from world events

U2 is returning with its first collection of new songs in nearly a decade, opening with a tribute to Renee Good...

7 hours ago in Trending, World

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office over ties to Epstein

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former British prince who was stripped of his royal titles because of his links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein...

8 hours ago in Music

A rare Paul McCartney and Wings trove heads to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this summer

A collection of Paul McCartney instruments, outfits, handwritten lyrics, unseen photos and tour memorabilia will be part of an exhibit at...

1 day ago in Entertainment

A movie that takes liberties with ‘Wuthering Heights’? Scholars are OK with that

If you're looking for someone to debate the new "Wuthering Heights" movie with, you might want to start with Lucasta Miller. She's a British author, editor and critic who has published an acclaimed study of the Brontë sisters and wrote the preface for the Penguin Classics edition of "Wuthering Heights."