News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

roseanne

A walk down Hollywood's memory lane.

in Viral Videos

Promposal FAIL

19-overlay3

A high schooler's prom proposal doesn't go as planned.

in Music

This week’s top pop songs

maroon5

LISTEN: This week's top pop songs, according to the latest Billboard chart.

in Music

This week’s top R&B tracks

kem

LISTEN: This week's top R&B tracks, according to the latest Billboard chart.

in Music

Record Store Day celebrates all things indie

recordstoreday

Record Store Day celebrates thousands of independent music stores across America.