More than 100 people – most of them children – were sickened when carbon monoxide leaked from a faulty water heater flue at North Mac Intermediate School in Girard on Monday.
Only a few people were hospitalized for observation, and the North Mac school district then installed carbon monoxide detectors. It’s not the law.
“There’s a very substantial health life safety code in the state of Illinois,” says Ben Schwarm, “where school buildings go through a more rigorous assessment of their safety features than most any other buildings.:
Schwarm is deputy executive director of the Illinois Association of School Boards and says unfunded mandates are unpopular. He says if there is a bill which comes through, he would favor finding money already available.
Meanwhile, he says, as North Mac has now done, districts are free to install detectors if they want to.