News

Suarez pledges to never bite again

Suarez pledges to never bite again

NO MORE BITING: FC Barcelona's Luis Suarez, from Uruguay, holds his new shirt during a press conference of his presentation at the Camp Nou in Barcelona, Spain, Tuesday, Aug. 19. Barcelona unveiled Suarez on Tuesday, an event delayed for over five weeks since his transfer from Liverpool due to his latest suspension for biting an opponent at the World Cup. Photo: Associated Press/Manu Fernandez

JOSEPH WILSON, Associated Press

BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Luis Suarez is ready to put his biting days behind him.

The Barcelona striker was officially presented to fans on Tuesday at an event delayed for more than five weeks because of his suspension for biting an opponent at the World Cup.

Suarez said he was ready to “erase” his history of bad behavior and start fresh with the Catalan club.

“I say to all the fans, don’t worry, because I won’t do that anymore,” the former Liverpool striker said.

Suarez sunk his teeth into the shoulder of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in June, earning him a four-month ban and further damaging his already tarnished reputation. The Court of Arbitration for Sport lessened his penalty last week, allowing him to start practice with Barcelona on Friday and play the final minutes of a friendly on Monday.

The Uruguay forward won’t play a competitive match until October.

“The suspension is what it is, and I have to accept it,” Suarez said. “After what happened I didn’t want to do anything. I was depressed. But while I was with my wife and children I had to accept reality. I asked for forgiveness as I had to do, and now I have to think about the present.”

Suarez refused to go into details about what he considered was at the root of his violent behavior. He called it a “private” issue that he was treating with the “appropriate professionals.”

But the volatile former Ajax forward did say that after his latest bite he was worried about his career.

“Of course I was worried, but not only about the transfer (to Barcelona), but also about myself, for what I had done. I try to erase it,” he said. “The lesson I take from it is personal. I try to forget it.”

At 27, Suarez has accumulated three multi-match suspensions for sinking his teeth into an opponent. He has also been suspended for making racist remarks.

Unfazed by Suarez’s latest act of aggression and focused on rebuilding its team after a disappointing season, Barcelona spent big to acquire the Premier League’s leading scorer from last season. Suarez will now form one of the most potent attacks in the world with Lionel Messi and Neymar.

Barcelona vice president Jordi Mestre said Suarez cost the club 81 million euros ($108 million). Media reports had said the deal was for about 97 million euros ($129 million). Mestre added that Suarez’s buyout clause has been set at 200 million euros ($267 million).

Suarez won’t complete his ban from playing competitive matches for Barcelona until Oct. 25. That will rule him out of the first eight Spanish league matches and three of Barcelona’s six Champions League group matches.

His first game could be a big one. On either Oct. 25 or 26, Barcelona will play Real Madrid in the first “clasico” of the season.

Suarez also remains banned for Uruguay’s next eight competitive matches and will miss next year’s Copa America and some World Cup qualifying matches.

“It hurts not playing for Barcelona but it hurts even more not playing for my country,” Suarez said. “I love my country. The fact that I will miss the next Copa America hurts very much. But I have to try and forget it.”

Recent Headlines

2 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Star Wars’ producers face charges in Harrison Ford’s on-set accident

18-overlay-7

The "Indiana Jones" star broke his leg when the door of the Millennium Falcon fell on him during filming in 2014.

6 hours ago in Music

Janet Jackson preparing to restart tour

11-overlay-4

The "No Sleep" hitmaker had to take a break from touring for health reasons but now she is ready to hit the road again.

6 hours ago in Entertainment

‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ headed for Broadway debut

mockingbird

Harper Lee's classic novel is coming to Broadway for the first time in a new stage version written by "West Wing" writer Aaron Sorkin.

7 hours ago in Entertainment

Charlize Theron gearing up for ‘Fast 8’

charlizetheron

The "Mad Max: Fury Road" star is in early talks to play the villain in the eighth installment of the hugely successful street racing series.

7 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Deadpool’ isn’t even out yet – but a sequel is in the works

18-overlay-6

Ryan Reynolds suits up as the homicidal mercenary, aka Wade Wilson, in the adaptation of the Marvel comic book series, which opens Friday.