News

Stewart to skip third race since fatal crash

Stewart to skip third race since fatal crash

TONY STEWART: Stewart, one of the highest-paid drivers in NASCAR, was competing in a sprint car race on Aug. 9 in upstate New York when he clipped the car of 20-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Tony Stewart will skip this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at the Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee, the third consecutive event the three-time champion has missed since being involved in a fatal on-track accident.

Jeff Burton will replace Stewart for the second straight week, Stewart-Haas Racing said Wednesday.

Stewart, one of the highest-paid drivers in NASCAR, was competing in a sprint car race on Aug. 9 in upstate New York when he clipped the car of 20-year-old driver Kevin Ward Jr.

Ward was sent careening into a retaining wall while Stewart continued racing. When the caution flag came out, Ward jumped out of his car and, while in the middle of the track, pointed angrily at Stewart when he came around on the next lap.

Stewart’s car struck Ward, causing fatal injuries in the non-NASCAR race.

No charges have been filed against Stewart although the investigation has not yet been completed.

Stewart, 43, skipped the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, New York, the following day and then sat out the Michigan 400 last week.

Stewart’s plans for the rest of the season have not yet been determined, Stewart-Haas Racing said.

(Reporting by Steve Ginsburg; Editing by Eric Walsh)

Recent Headlines

2 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Angry Birds,’ apps to go hand-in-hand at the movies

Fresh
21-overlay-15

Creators of the upcoming "The Angry Birds Movie" movie will ask audiences to whip out their phones during the end credits and point them at the screen.

2 hours ago in Music

Lenny Kravitz, Queen Latifah to star in new Fox drama

queenlatifah771031325145

The show "Star" will feature newcomer actors Jude Demorest, Ryan Destiny and Brittany O'Grady as the singers.

4 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Fast & Furious 8’ revs up for historic Cuba shoot

Updated
FastCuba575123770627

Director F. Gary Gray has turned the key on the "Fast 8" production in Havana, making movie history by becoming the first filmmaker to shoot a major Hollywood project in Cuba in over 50 years.

4 hours ago in Music

Lionel Richie a student of ‘Vegas university’

lionelrichie

The 66-year-old singer kicked off his All The Hits residency at Planet Hollywood's Axis Theater in Sin City this week.

5 hours ago in Entertainment

Sylvester Stallone starring in TV adaptation of ‘Omerta’

stallone95828264444

The "Rocky" star will play mob boss Raymonde Aprile in the series inspired by "The Godfather" author Mario Puzo's book.