News

Manny Pacquiao plans to box on

Manny Pacquiao plans to box on

FIGHT ON: Manny Pacquiao says he has no plans to retire any time soon. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Filipino great Manny Pacquiao will box on irrespective of the outcome of his November 24 fight against American Brandon Rios, the eight-weight world champion said on Wednesday.

Two straight defeats, the second a sixth-round knockout by old foe Juan Manuel Marquez in December, have triggered talk of retirement which would only increase if he loses in Macau as well.

The 34-year-old Filipino, however, would not even give retirement a thought.

“(I) just want to go out and win this fight,” Pacquiao told reporters through advisor Michael Koncz via a teleconference.

The boxer dismissed any hangover from his last two losses and said he was feeling comfortable and confident ahead of the Macau showdown.

Pacquiao dismissed his last two defeats as part of boxing and denied being under any pressure to re-establish himself as the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer.

He conceded, however, that the Rios fight would be crucial.

“This is one of the most important ones because I want to show my fans in the world that I can still compete at the high level,” he said.

Recent Headlines

47 mins ago in Music

Joe Jackson ‘growing stronger by the day’

Fresh
joejackson

The 87-year-old was admitted to a Los Angeles medical centre earlier this month after falling ill during a routine visit to his doctor.

60 mins ago in Music

Mary J. Blige cast in World War II film

Fresh
maryjblige768880310710

The "Family Affair" singer has joined the cast of "Mudbound," a big screen adaptation of author Hillary Jordan's award-winning novel.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

‘The Fast and the Furious’ racing back to theaters for anniversary run

Fresh
11-overlay-13

The first film in the highly-popular franchise was released on June 22, 2001 and will hit theaters again next month for a limited nationwide run.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Dustin Diamond back in jail in Wisconsin

Fresh
dustindiamond

The former "Saved by the Bell" star reportedly violated the terms of his parole.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

WATCH: ‘Game of Thrones’ creators apologize

Fresh
24-overlay-9

They're not sorry for killing off Hodor ... they're sorry for the aftermath.