Janelle Monae axes shows due to mystery illness

Janelle Monae axes shows due to mystery illness

Janelle Monae attends The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute benefit gala celebrating "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" on Monday, May 5, 2014, in New York. Photo: Associated Press/Charles Sykes/Invision

R&B star Janelle Monae was a no-show at a gig in Melbourne, Australia on Saturday night after suddenly falling ill.

The Tightrope hitmaker headed Down Under earlier this month for her Golden Electric Tour with singer Kimbra.

Fans had gathered at The Forum in Melbourne on Saturday night, but after Kimbra’s set, the crowd was told Monae would not be performing after coming down with a mystery illness.

Now officials from the trek’s promoters Live Nation have announced that a show in Sydney on Monday night has also been scrapped to allow Monae to recover.

The statement reads, “Ms Monae has been required to remain in Melbourne under medical supervision to assess her recovery. Therefore the Sydney performance by Janelle Monae and Kimbra on their Golden Electric Tour will not go ahead at the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall (on) Monday May 19, as scheduled.

“Live Nation is working to secure a rescheduled performance date later this week, subject to the progress of Ms Monae’s recovery.”

Ticketholders have been advised they can claim a full refund for the axed show.

The next schedule tour date is in Brisbane on 21 May.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.