News

GM recalls another 1.5M vehicles

GM recalls another 1.5M vehicles

MORE RECALLS: GM said it is recalling more than 1.5 million newer sport utility vehicles, luxury sedans and full-size vans in three separate recalls. Photo: Reuters

DETROIT (Reuters) – General Motors Co will take a $300 million charge primarily to cover the costs related to the faulty ignition switches linked to at least 12 deaths as well as three more recalls it announced on Monday.

The No. 1 U.S. automaker, which will take the charge in the first quarter, did not provide a breakdown of how much was related to the ignition-switch recall of more than 1.6 million older-model vehicles.

GM also said it is recalling more than 1.5 million newer sport utility vehicles, luxury sedans and full-size vans in three separate recalls. While there were reports of engine compartment fires in two dealer-owned Cadillac XTS sedans, the company said it has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to the three new recalls.

“I asked our team to redouble our efforts on our pending product reviews, bring them forward and resolve them quickly,” GM Chief Executive Mary Barra said in a statement. “That is what today’s GM is all about.”

She previously apologized for how GM handled the ignition switch recall and said the company would take an “unvarnished” look at the process while making customer safety and satisfaction the top priority.

“We are conducting an intense review of our internal processes and will have more developments to announce as we move forward,” Barra said on Monday.

The ignition-switch recall has led to government criminal and civil investigations, an internal probe by GM and preparations for hearings by Congress. All ask why GM took so long to address a problem it has said first came to its attention in 2001.

GM said that when the ignition switch was jostled, a key could turn off the car’s engine and disable airbags, sometimes while traveling at high speed. GM has said it received reports of 12 deaths and 34 crashes in the recalled cars, although safety advocate groups have urged a deeper investigation, arguing the number of fatalities involved has been understated.

On Friday, the Detroit automaker was hit with what appeared to be the first lawsuit related to the ignition-switch recall, as customers claimed their vehicles lost value because of the ignition switch problems. The proposed class action was filed in a Texas federal court.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman; editing by Matthew Lewis)

Recent Headlines

in Music

Lily Allen’s fake handcuff photo sparks police investigation

Fresh
Lily Allen poses for photographers on the red carpet at the EE British Academy Film Awards held at the Royal Opera House on Sunday Feb. 16, 2014, in London.

A police investigation launches after Lily Allen shares an Instagram.com photo of herself pretending to be arrested by a cop in Australia.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

Fresh
FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Music

Liam Payne causes online storm with ‘naked’ picture

One Direction performing live in concert during their 'Where We Are' tour at Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Liam Payne whipped One Direction fans into a frenzy when he posted a supposedly nude photo of himself on the back of a yacht.

in Music

Nicki Minaj delays release of new ‘Anaconda’ single

Nicki Minaj

After taking criticism for a controversial album cover, Nicki Minaj mysteriously pushes the release of her new single back a week.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.