News

Game of 2 popes: Vatican plays down World Cup rivalry

Game of 2 popes: Vatican plays down World Cup rivalry

THE POPE:Pope Francis waves during his Sunday Angelus prayer in Saint Peter's square at the Vatican on July 6. Photo: Reuters/Tony Gentile

By Philip Pullella

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – With Argentina meeting Germany in the World Cup final, the Vatican on Friday brushed aside talk of soccer rivalry between Argentine Pope Francis and his predecessor Benedict, a German.

In response to the intense media speculation about whether they would watch the game together, which it called “amusing,” the Vatican called on soccer fans to observe a “pause for peace” before Sunday’s final to remember victims of war and poverty.

A senior Vatican official who works with both Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict told Reuters that no decision had been taken yet on how each of the two would spend Sunday night.

Benedict, the source pointed out, is not a soccer fan, but added: “Let’s see. The current situation is unique”.

The Vatican’s spokesman said he did not believe Benedict, now 87 and living his retirement in seclusion in an ex-convent in the Vatican, would watch the match, because of the late hour

Francis, the Latin American pope, is most definitely a soccer fan.

As archbishop of Buenos Aires, he was a keen supporter of the San Lorenzo soccer club. He is an honorary member of the club nicknamed the Saints of Boedo for the neighborhood where they were founded by a group of young men that included a priest in 1908.

The Vatican’s Council for Culture which has sports as part of its brief, called the pre-match speculation “amusing and entertaining” but said it was calling for a moment of silence on Sunday for “thinking about important things” such as peace.

“Let’s have a pause for peace,” said Monsignor Melcher Sanchez de Tosca y Alameda, the council’s undersecretary, announcing a social media hashtag #PAUSEforPeace.

Sanchez referred to the tradition in ancient Greece to stop all conflicts during the Olympic games.

“Why not for the World Cup? Why not a pause, a moment of silence, a truce for peace?” he said.

A spokesman for the council said it would be up to each fan, each team and each organization, including soccer governing body FIFA, if, how and when they wanted to observe a moment of “silence or reflection or pause” to remember those suffering.

(Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

Recent Headlines

in Music

Lily Allen’s fake handcuff photo sparks police investigation

Fresh
Lily Allen poses for photographers on the red carpet at the EE British Academy Film Awards held at the Royal Opera House on Sunday Feb. 16, 2014, in London.

A police investigation launches after Lily Allen shares an Instagram.com photo of herself pretending to be arrested by a cop in Australia.

in Music

Aretha Franklin storms out of fast food joint

Fresh
FILE - In this May 11, 2013 file photo, Aretha Franklin performs during McDonald's Gospelfest 2013 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.Franklin won’t say what has caused her latest health problems, but says she’s had a “miraculous” recovery and is looking forward to performing soon.In a phone interview on Tuesday, Aug. 20, Franklin said that she recently had a cat scan and that it showed she was 85 percent improved. The 71-year-old has canceled several concerts and public appearances and blamed it on unspecified treatment.

Aretha Franklin stormed out a Johnny Rockets in Ontario, Canada last week after a nasty encounter with a rude employee.

in Music

Liam Payne causes online storm with ‘naked’ picture

Fresh
One Direction performing live in concert during their 'Where We Are' tour at Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Liam Payne whipped One Direction fans into a frenzy when he posted a supposedly nude photo of himself on the back of a yacht.

in Music

Nicki Minaj delays release of new ‘Anaconda’ single

Nicki Minaj

After taking criticism for a controversial album cover, Nicki Minaj mysteriously pushes the release of her new single back a week.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.