News

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) looks over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Photo: Associated Press/Wilfredo Lee

MIAMI (Reuters) – The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League (NFL) were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time,” the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito’s suspension.

The NFL said in a statement: “We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin’s representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

“We are taking these allegations very seriously,” the Dolphins said.

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

The Dolphins said coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that, “Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.

ESPN reported Sunday that Incognito convinced Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas, even though Martin did not go on the trip.

Other instances of intimidation were captured on voicemails and texts, according to media reports.

Recent Headlines

1 minute ago in Entertainment

REVIEW: Cast keeps ‘Heaven Is for Real’ grounded

Fresh
This image released by Sony Pictures shows Connor Corum, left, and Greg Kinnear in a scene from "Heaven Is For Real."

Based on the true story described in the best-selling book, the film introduces us to a four year old boy who says he went to heaven.

today in Entertainment

Could we soon see ‘Mrs. Doubtfire 2?’

robinwilliams

This could be the sequel we've been waiting for.

today in Entertainment

Amy Poehler and Will Arnett officially file for divorce

poehler

Though they've been separated since 2012, we're sad to see one of Hollywood's funniest couples split.

today in Music

Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard goes on trial in DC

washington

The singer's bodyguard is on trial on assault charges, a case that will be a preview for the musician's own trial.

today in Entertainment

‘Hobbit’ star found guilty in drug case

mikaelbran

Actor Mikael Persbrandt has been sentenced to five months in jail for buying cocaine.